Hilt (Libby) House
VKPF has acquired the Hilt House (commonly known as the Libby House), a double-pen c. 1847 on Seminary Street between 1st and 2nd Streets in the Vincennes Historic District. The house is located around the corner from the Michel Brouillet House (French House) c. 1806 that reflects the town’s French heritage. With support from Indiana Landmarks, VKPF intends to stabilize the Hilt House and undertake exterior rehabilitation. Volunteers welcome!
The Dale House, an American Foursquare c. 1909 at the corner of Hart Street and Second Street in the Vincennes Historic District, has been restored with the help of Indiana Landmarks and many other preservation-minded organizations and individuals. VKPF is excited to announce that the house sold in December 2011. The house features original woodwork, hardwood floors and staircase. Many thanks to all who contributed to this preservation effort.
Hack & Simon Building Restoration
VKPF led the way in restoring the Hack & Simon Brewery Office Building, c. 1885, on the Vincennes University campus. Due to the public’s desire to “save” this outstanding edifice, large sums of money were raised for the project. A great example of an adaptive reuse, the Knox County Development Corporation moved its offices into the building in 2008. The building was dedicated to the Bierhaus Family in 2011.
Judge Abner T. Ellis House
VKPF coordinated funding from Indiana Landmarks for an assessment of the facade of the Judge Abner T. Ellis House. Owned by the Harmony Society, plans include preservation of the sandstone columns and facade improvements.
Knox County Soldiers & Sailors Civil War Monument
Originally dedicated in 1914, the Civil War Monument on the county square memorializes war and peace. Designed by C.N. Clark and Company of Urbana, Illinois, the granite monument, well over sixty feet high and topped with the color-bearer, became susceptible to weather and fell into disrepair over the years. The restoration effort, directed by Judge Tim Crowley and led by VKPF, raised funds for over a decade and partnered with Knox County to bring the monument back to its original glory. A re-dedication ceremony celebrated the completed restoration on July 4, 2008.
St. Xavier School
Now used by Rivet School, VKPF advocated for the preservation of the St. Xavier School at Third and Church Streets. Legal action prevented demolition of this historic building.
City Parks National Register Listing
In 2013, VKPF assisted with the listings of Gregg Park and Kimmell Park on the National Register of Historic Places. Partners in Preservation, a program of Indiana Landmarks, helped fund the endeavor. Both parks, administered by the Vincennes City Parks and Recreation Department, were designed by local architects Sutton and Routt.